Easter is a fun time of year, but it comes with hazards to our pets. Lisa Chelenza looks at some Easter hazards in this edition of Pet Pointers.
The Easter basket is a colorful modern tradition that many kids look forward to, but there are hidden dangers for our pets that you might not be aware of. For some reason, many pets are drawn to the shinny pastel colored Easter grass we are used to seeing at the bottom of chocolate filled baskets. This harmless looking plastic can actually be very bad for your pets if it is swallowed.
“The problem with Easter grass is that it is this long thread that can get into the intestinal tract and it sits there while the normal intestinal motility continues. As that continues it can kind of saw into the intestinal as this piece of thread or rope just sits there, and if it site there long enough it can cause a perforation the GI tract and the life threatening condition called septic abdomen or septic peritonitis. So first thing first if your pet ingests Easter grass, call your vet immediately,” said veterinarian Dr. Maureen Luschini.
To ease your mind, switch to the new eco-friendly Easter grass made from recycled paper that also comes in fun colors or natural.
Chocolate, you may know, is also bad for our pets and can cause stomach upset and, in extreme cases, death. But the decorative foil wrappings can cut your pet’s mouth or cause an intestinal blockage and may require surgery.
All the sugary treats and fun plastic toys and accessories we come to expect in an Easter basket are simply not for pets and you should keep them far out of your pets reach.
If your pet stops eating, is vomiting, or exhibiting other strange behaviors, call your vet or pet poison control and describe the symptoms. Your fast action could save their life.