Officials believe they know cause of Dove Street fire
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
ALBANY, N.Y. -- We're learning more about what firefighters believe was the primary cause of Friday's massive fire on Dove Street.
They cannot officially confirm yet, but firefighters tell us they believe a kerosene heater was left unattended near some frozen pipes. That may have sparked the fire that ripped through three homes, creating a cloud of smoke over Albany. They say someone living in the home was trying to thaw out the frozen pipes when the fire began.
Demolition began Saturday on three homes all deemed a total loss. The fire displaced nearly two dozen people. The Red Cross is currently providing food and shelter for 22 people, including eight children.
As one official tells us, recovering after a fire is a long process.
"Unfortunately, the people affected by this fire, their lives are going to be disrupted for a long time now and it's gonna take everything they can do. They'll have help from their friends and family and the Red Cross will be there to help them with resources to rebuild their lives, but it's very serious, it's very unfortunate," said Caroline Boardman, Red Cross Director of Communications.
Boardman says she expects more people to reach out for help as the days go on. She says they'll be able to help more when social services re-opens on Monday.