Updated 05/07/2012 11:26 AM
Charges dismissed for Occupy Albany protesters
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Charges have been dismissed for nearly two dozen Occupy Albany protesters. The Occupiers were in Albany City Court today after they refused to leave a downtown park last week.
State and Albany Police cleared Lafayette Park shortly after the 11 p.m. curfew Tuesday. Occupiers promised to stand their ground, but most complied and moved onto the sidewalks. Those who insisted on staying were arrested and given appearance tickets.
An attorney for Occupy Albany said the arrests were a waste of time.
"I don't know why they had to go through all that cost and trouble to make these arrests in the first place. Especially the earlier arrests, when we were trying to hand out water in the park, set up a table. It was completely ridiculous," said Kathy Manley, attorney for Occupy Albany.
"This has gotten out of control. All of us have one clear message. The corporations are taking over our country and the world and they are destroying it. We have had enough," said Joanne Kathleen Farrell, Occupy Albany protester.
In March, Albany County District Attorney David Soares announced that the 88 cases stemming from last year’s arrests during Occupy Albany would be dismissed.