State to pay for tropical storm damage
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
ALBANY, N.Y. -- Governor Andrew Cuomo announced Monday that the state will be covering the local share of disaster and recovery costs from Tropical Storm Irene and Lee.
Typically, FEMA covers 75 percent of eligible disaster response and recovery costs, and the other 25 percent is paid equally by the state and the local governments. But Governor Cuomo announced that it would cover all of the remaining 25 percent, totaling $14 million, across Orange, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester Counties.
Earlier this month, Governor Cuomo announced the state would be covering the costs for Sullivan and Ulster counties.