Updated 08/26/2011 05:00 AM
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
8-10 as a side
- 1 large or 2 small onions, peeled and diced
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 small to medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 small to medium yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- Olive oil as needed for sautéing veggies
- 4-6 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- Salt to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Approx. 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
Add a good splash of olive oil to a large, heavy bottomed pot on medium high heat and add the diced onion and diced red pepper and cook those to soften.
Stir that around occasionally and, once the peppers and onions have softened up a bit, add the minced garlic, and diced eggplant and more olive oil if you need to. Let that cook down for 5-6 minutes, then add the diced yellow squash and zucchini.
Let that cook for another 5-6 minutes, stirring the veggies occasionally and finally, add the diced tomatoes and cook until everything is nice and soft but not mushy.
Depending on the size of the cut vegetables, the whole cooking process shouldn't take any more than 20-25 minutes top.
When you're happy with the consistency of the vegetables, season it with salt to taste a pinch of red pepper flakes if you like and finish with a generous handful of chopped fresh basil.
Serve as a vegetable side dish or tossed with pasta as the main meal. There are no exact measurements or ingredients. Make a smaller batch if you like and use just zucchini or yellow squash instead of both. Use a green or yellow pepper if you don't have red.